In his address at the Opening Bell Ceremony, Korkmaz Ergun, the CEO of Borsa İstanbul A.Ş., stated the following:
"Esteemed Deputy Minister,
Today, I welcome you all to Borsa İstanbul, to the Opening Bell Ceremony hosted by our Stock Exchange as we celebrate the listing of Turkish State Mint Gold Certificates.
I would like to take this opportunity to extend my thanks to everyone who contributed to this process, especially the Ministry of Treasury and Finance, the Capital Markets Board of Türkiye, Ziraat Yatırım, Directorate General of Mint and Stamp Printing House of the Republic of Türkiye, Takasbank, Central Securities Depository of Türkiye and my colleagues at Borsa İstanbul.
The gold certificate, which is listed on our Exchange today, has many advantages. I would like to take this opportunity to touch upon the 5 most significant features of gold certificates.
- Our investors will be able to buy and sell gold certificates, just as they buy and sell equities in the Equity Market.
- Our investors will not bear the custody costs of the gold equivalent of the gold certificate since the gold will be stored by the Directorate General of Mint and Stamp Printing House of the Republic of Türkiye.
- Upon their demand, our investors will be able to receive physical delivery of gold from the Directorate General of Mint and Stamp Printing House of the Republic of Türkiye.
- The gold certificate is one percent of one gram gold, meaning it can be bought and sold in small pieces, making it a budget-friendly product.
- The withholding rate is zero for earnings from gold certificates.
Thus, we expect this product to receive a great deal of interest from our investors.
We aim to expand the variety of financial products with other commodities, especially silver, such as gold certificate, which is the first product of our Commodity Market Segment.
I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed to this process. I would like to welcome the Directorate General of Mint and Stamp Printing House of the Republic of Türkiye to the Borsa İstanbul family. I wish the Turkish State Mint Gold Certificates to be auspicious for our capital markets.